This fragment of an old ruler or framing square was found near the buried log structures at Smith’s Cove. It is made of hand forged wrought iron. The numbers and calibrations have been engraved by hand and are in English measure. Research scientists at STELCO estimate that it was manufactured prior to 1783. Photo courtesy of Robert Dunfield II.
Boatswain’s whistle made of bone or ivory found at Smith’s Cove about 1901. This image provided courtesy of Robert Dunfield II.
These are some wrought iron scissors found at Smith’s Cove on 1967, beneath what is believed to be part of a man-made flooding system. The Smithsonian Institution has identified them as typical as Spanish-American manufacture prior to the mid-19th century.
These images are part of D’Arcy O’Connor’s research files and are not to be used without prior permission.
Credit: Triton Alliance
The following images are courtesy of Triton Alliance and D’Acry O’Connor for kindly sharing them with Oak Island Treasure for our growing archive.
Fragment of brass brought up by the Becker Drill at a depth of 174 feet. It was embedded in putty-like blue clay at a level of about 10 feet below the surrounding bedrock.
Small bits of metal brought up from a depth of approximately 200 feet in borehole 10. This material was encountered in a layer of silty sand slightly above bedrock. Analysis has shown it to be a crude, low carbon steel of a type produced 200 – 300 years ago.
A hand-wrought nail and some type of nut or washer, discovered October 31 1967, at the bottom of a dome shaped shaft filled with black stagnant water. This shaft, 60 feet deep, was discovered accidentally on the south shore in an area immediately beneath the triangle of small stones which had been first noted in 1867.