This fragment of an old ruler or framing square was found near the buried log structures at Smith’s Cove. It is made of hand forged wrought iron. The numbers and calibrations have been engraved by hand and are in English measure. Research scientists at STELCO estimate that it was manufactured prior to 1783. Photo appears here courtesy of the late Robert Dunfield II.